Cathedral Treble Choir
Marianna Parnas-Simpson, Director
The Treble Choir of Houston at Christ Church Cathedral was founded in 2006 by Marianna Parnas-Simpson, and has flourished and grown artistically since then. This diverse choral ensemble of children ages 11–16 performs widely in the community and also serves as the resident children’s choir at Christ Church Cathedral.
The Treble Choir is composed of children from the Cathedral and greater Houston community and rehearses on Tuesday evenings from 5:00–6:30 p.m. In addition to singing at the Cathedral for Eucharists, Evensongs, and other special events, the Treble Choir often serves as a guest children’s choir for concerts and weddings.
- Featured performance at Carnegie Hall, Isaak Stern Auditorium
- Annual Christmas concerts in the Villa de Matel with the Houston Chamber Choir
- Houston Young Artists Competition Grand Finale in Stude Hall
- Houston Symphony Gala
- University of Houston Gala
- Filming of the documentary “This Land is your Land” with Musiqa in the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts
- Appearance at the National Cathedral, Washington, D.C.
- Mahler’s Third Symphony with the Texas Music Festival’s orchestra at the Moores Opera House
The mission of Treble Choir is transforming lives through excellence in choral singing and music education.
Our guiding principals are:
- The love of music
- Self discipline and teamwork
- Self expression and self confidence
- Better understanding of the world, the people and ourselves
- Only the best is good enough
Our goal is to be accessible to every child, thus the Treble Choir is the only choral organization in Houston outside the public school system that provides the highest quality tuition-free music.
TREBLE CHOIR OF HOUSTON 2017 SPRING SEMESTER PERFORMANCE CALENDAR
- Sunday, February 5, 11 a.m. — Singing for Cathedral service.
- Sunday, March 5, 5 p.m., Zilka Hall at Hobby Center for the Performing Arts (800 Bagby St, Houston, TX 77002)-performing PLANETS with Texas Medical Center Orchestra.
- Sunday, March 26, 9 a.m. — Singing for Cathedral service.
- Sunday, April 2, 11 a.m. — Singing for Cathedral service.
- Sunday, April 9, 4:15 p.m. — performing Pergolesi’s STABAT MATER with the Christ Church Cathedral Choir and the string orchestra
- Tuesday, April 25, 6:30 p.m. — Joint performance with the choirs of the First Presbyterian School, 5300 Main St, Houston, TX 77004.
- Sunday, May 7, 10 a.m. — Singing for Cathedral service.
- Saturday, May 20, 3 p.m. — Treble Choir Annual Spring Concert at Westmoreland Chapel, South Main Baptist Church, 4200 Main Street
Listen to the Treble Choir CD, “This Our Joyful Hymn”
What people are saying about the Treble Choir
Marianna Simpson and her Treble Choir create true artistry. Their music-making is full of nuance, attention to detail, passionate expression, and beautiful repertoire. A joy to hear!
Anima, Children’s Chorus of Greater Chicago
The children were brilliant, catching the spirit of what they were singing about and bringing music into the realm of innocence and purity. Bravo!
Franz Anton Krager
Director of Orchestra Studies
Moores School of Music at the University of Houston
Treble Choir of Houston at Christ Church Cathedral delivered a stellar performance in Carnegie Hall! Bravo!
Manhattan Concert Production
Treble Choir of Houston performance of the Russian song “Prekrasnaya Dalyoko” brought tears to my eyes. I grew up in Russia and this was one of my favorite songs. The pronunciation was so clear — you could never tell that those children are not native Russian speakers. It was the best performance of this song I have ever heard.
I was blown away by the beauty of the Treble Choir performance in Carnegie Hall. The sound of these young singers was clear, warm and beautiful. Children’s faces were lit up with inspirations — they were a joy to watch and hear. I left uplifted. Thank you for the gift of music!
Dr. Darrell Sparks, M.D.