Rhythms of Grace at the Cathedral
Rhythms of Grace, a worship experience for special needs children and their families, continues on the first Sunday of the month at 1:00 in the Jones Building Basement. While Christ Church Cathedral welcomes worshipers of all ages and abilities at all services, Rhythms of Grace is a way for children with special needs to enjoy worship in their own way. An ecumenical service and playtime, the service was created so that parents could have a place where they could worship with their children without worrying about verbal disruptions, distracting movements or gestures. This special service is a supplement to our other service offerings.
At Rhythms of Grace we gather and play at a common activity as all are welcomed and made comfortable. We share a story from the Bible and then explore the story at learning centers, choosing from a variety of sensory and tactile activities adapted to each theme. We re-gather and break bread in a circle seated on small rugs and then pray our thanks and bid our friends goodbye until next time. The service is full of music, movement and laughter.
A Typical Service
- We gather and play at a common activity as all are welcomed and made comfortable.
- We share a story from the Bible.
- We explore the story at learning centers choosing from a variety of sensory and tactile activities adapted to each theme.
- We hear the story of Jesus and God’s love for us.
- We break bread in a circle seated on the chapel rug. We pray our thanks and bid our friends goodbye until next time.
Visit a photo gallery of the August 7, 2011, service.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What if my child is disruptive?
All children are welcome, regardless of their “acting out” behavior. We have a Safe Corner where children can rest and observe.
- Are children accompanied?
Parents, grandparents and/or caregivers are expected to join in the activities at Rhythms of Grace so children’s particular needs are met and they feel comfortable. There is a time for conversation and networking among adults.
- Is there an age limit?
No. Our program is hands-on and craft-based. We play on the floor and move to music. All ages are welcome!
- Can siblings and friends attend?
- Do I have to be an Episcopalian to come to Rhythms of Grace?
No. We welcome all faith traditions to our service.
- Do I need to call in advance?
No. Just come. But if you have a particular need, call first so we can help to make it a successful first visit.
For more information contact Martha Lewis, Special Needs Program Coordinator, at 713-220-8455 or firstname.lastname@example.org.